Maybe you struggle to create the perfect chart for your presentation, or you want to be able to visualize your data more effectively yourself. In either case, you may be wondering, “Can I chart multiple ranges of data in Google Sheets?” Simply put, yes.
This guide will detail how to do that step by step. Follow the steps and learn in just a few minutes.
- 1 How to Put Two Sets of Data on One Graph in Google Sheets
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 Can You Chart Multiple Ranges of Data in a Google Sheet?
- 2.2 How Do I Create a Chart With Two Data Ranges in Google Sheets?
- 2.3 How Do You Add Multiple Ranges in Google Sheets?
- 2.4 How Do I Graph 3 Variables in Google Sheets?
- 2.5 How Do You Make a Bar Graph With Two Sets of Data in Google Sheets?
- 2.6 Can Google Sheets Chart Multiple Ranges of Data While Skipping Rows?
- 3 Wrapping Up
How to Put Two Sets of Data on One Graph in Google Sheets
Preparing the Data
The first step in creating a chart with multiple data series in Google Sheets is to ensure your data is properly formatted.
To create a chart with multiple ranges in Google Sheets, start with the column headers and dataset for the X-axis.
For this demo, we will add three data sets. These labels are used when creating graphs.
In this example, the “Week” label is used for the X-Axis, and the other three columns for Team Sales represent the Y-Axis values plotted on the chart.
Then add your data below the header. If you need to plot Y-axis values against the same X-axis values, this becomes a very simple process.
If you want Google Sheets to chart multiple data ranges using independent x-axis values for the data sets, you must enter the values for the first data set followed by the values for the second data set there is.
Adding the Graph
Now that we’ve properly organized and labeled our values, let’s see how to add the chart to our spreadsheet.
- Select data in the sheet. It will have a blue border around the data. Be sure to add labels to your selection. Otherwise the data will not be formatted properly.
- Click Insert in the top bar of your spreadsheet, then click Chart in the dropdown menu. This will instantly add the chart to the center of the screen.
- Most of the time, the spreadsheet handles the data very intelligently and adds appropriate charts. However, if you want to change the chart type, click below the Chart Type option.
- There you can select the type of chart you want to add.
In this example, we added a line chart to the spreadsheet. The three lines represent each team and show the sales trends for each team over the 10-week period.
Customizing the Graph
Now that we have the chart we want, let’s see how we can customize it to make it unique. To do this you need to follow these steps:
- Click on the chart and click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Then select “Edit Chart”. This will open the chart editor on the right side of the screen.
- Click the Customize tab at the top of the chart editor. This will bring up a new section where you can customize various aspects of your chart.
- The first thing to do is assign a title to the chart. To do this, go to the chart and axis titles and assign them under the title text.
You can also change the line color, thickness, position, etc in this section.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Chart Multiple Ranges of Data in a Google Sheet?
Yes, the process is easy as long as you have your data in place the first time.
How Do I Create a Chart With Two Data Ranges in Google Sheets?
To do this, you need three columns in your data set. The first column defines the X-axis values. The second and her third columns contain the data that will be inserted into the chart. The values in these two columns also determine the maximum and minimum values on the Y-axis. After adding the data, click “Insert” and then “Chart” and Google Sheets will insert the data and create the appropriate chart.
How Do You Add Multiple Ranges in Google Sheets?
If you have an existing table, add another column next to the dataset used in the table. Then go to the chart editor Preferences and change the cell address in the Data Range section to reflect the change. You can also use named ranges. The chart will update automatically.
How Do I Graph 3 Variables in Google Sheets?
To add a chart with three variables, you need to create four columns in your dataset. The first column contains the y-axis values and his other three columns contain the values that need to be plotted on the graph. Once the data is added, select it and click Insert. From there, click Charts to add charts to your spreadsheet.
How Do You Make a Bar Graph With Two Sets of Data in Google Sheets?
To do this, you need three columns in your data set. The first column defines the X-axis values. The second and her third columns contain the data that will be inserted into the chart. The values in these two columns also determine the maximum and minimum values on the Y-axis. Once you’ve added your data, click “Insert” and then “Chart” and Google Sheets will insert the data and create your chart. In the Chart Editor, click Chart Types and Column Chart.
Can Google Sheets Chart Multiple Ranges of Data While Skipping Rows?
If you want to skip rows in the graph, just hide the rows when creating the graph. Hidden rows are automatically excluded unless you change the chart settings.
I found that Google Sheets allows you to chart multiple ranges of data. Experiment until it becomes easy to understand. Note that this may not work for some types of custom charts, such as Pareto charts.